Trying to emulate movie stills is quite fun. Taking candid pictures of people on the streets and giving them a fictional story by cropping and color grading is actually an enjoyable process.
If you want to do this yourself I have a couple of tips for you.
- Cinematic crop. – Crop 2.33:1 or something similar. Really wide. Don’t be afraid to crop off foreheads or hair. It adds drama and tension.
- Use a standard focal length or wider. Use fast aperture lenses and open them completely for a narrow depth of field.
- Use images that has some sort of action going on. Walking, talking, obviously thinking. Use a main character that tells the story.
- Use split toning in post processing. Support grey weather and drama by grading in blue/green, support sunny weather by grading in yellow/red tone.
- Add black bars in photoshop by pasting your 2.33:1 crop into an 3:2 black canvas.
Try it out.
Its quite addictive!
All shots using Fujifilm cameras using mostly 35 f/1.4 and 23 mm f/1.4.